Since everyone else is doing it, some thoughts on the Cohen hearings:
- I’m still kind of amazed this from Cohen’s testimony didn’t get more play:
He once asked me if I could name a country run by a black person that wasn’t a “shithole.” This was when Barack Obama was President of the United States.
MAGA! This was a glorious opportunity for Democrats to do some flag waving.
- Speaking of missed opportunities, most of our Congresscritters are not very smart. As others have pointed out, it shouldn’t be hard to come up with a list of questions along the lines of this. While I didn’t expect Republicans to do anything other than cover Trump’s ass, Democrats should have been much more strategic in their overall organization, as well as their individual questions. Ocasio-Cortez, Khanna, and Raskin were very good, which just goes to show where the brains in the party are (hint: not in the New Democrat wing). There are opportunities that went missing. I also hope the political press corps doesn’t turn the hearings into a discussion about whether Jordan is a racist (he is); they have a tendency to do things like that…
- The ‘BEHOLD, A BLACK WOMAN!’ Republican strategy isn’t the infallible argument conservatives think it is (logic!).
- Thankfully, Ocasio-Cortez laid the groundwork to get Trump’s taxes, since the guy in the obvious position to do so, Rep. Richard Neal, is failing his historical moment.
- Despite strategic disorganization, Democrats still managed to get Cohen to describe over a dozen felonies in which Trump conspired.
- Cohen remarked, “Indeed, given my experience working for Mr. Trump, I fear that if he loses the election in 2020 that there will never be a peaceful transition of power, and this is why I agreed to appear before you today.” He might be right, and, if Democrats win back the White House, we need to be prepared for this contingency.