While Democrats gnash their teeth (not very good for the teeth!) and wail about how seniors–well, white ones anyway–are a staunchly Republican cohort, it appears some of them might not just be old, mean, and crotchety (or bigoted), though surely some of them are (boldface mine):
And what do elderly voters care about? It isn’t jobs, and it isn’t wages. After all, they are almost all retired!
No, what they care about is the interest rates their CD’s and money market accounts are earning, and the COLA adjustments to their Social Security….
Average CD rates have run no higher than 1%. Social Security COLA has averaged 2.2%….
For the last 5 years, inflation has averaged about 2% a year.
Obama and the democrats are seen as having bailed out Wall Street in 2009. Meanwhile savers and those on fixed incomes have taken it in the chops.
So let’s review:
1. A burgeoning midterm electoral cohort
2. skewing more conservative than in several decades
3. that is the prime viewership for Fox News
4. took it in the chops on their savings and, to a lesser extent, Social Security.
5. They blamed Obama and the democrats.
Last week, they got even.
Once again, people have to like this crap. I don’t think we should downplay the cultural issues, but, in close races, this stuff matters.