My Fellow Riders and I Will Attack You on the Metro

Or something (boldface mine):

After finishing up her Saturday shift on Aug. 2, the Sunglass Hut sales associate smoked a cigarette in her car before embarking on that evening’s adventures. She needed something to calm her nerves: She was about to take her first-ever trip on Metro.

Since moving from Hampton, Va., to Fairfax County in March, White had been driving into D.C. to see friends. Several parking tickets later, she figured it was time for a new tactic.

Like many Tysons Corner Center employees, she wasn’t really sure who rides Metro:

“They’ve warned us that we’ll have all kinds of characters from all over,” White said. Her mom’s reservations, informed by a certain deadly scene in “House of Cards,” didn’t help. But White promised to stand at least 10 feet away from the platform edge.

Her first impression of the Tysons station: “This is nice.” She was less pleased by the farecard machines — until an employee swooped in to explain the process and handed her a map.

“I can go everywhere now,” she marveled, scanning the names of the stops. “U Street, Silver Spring, Dupont Circle, Smithsonian. I’ve been dying to go to museums.”

The sight of cops on the platform eased her concerns about safety, although she did question the number of shoppers who’d left the mall with their arms full of bags.

A lot of people are terrified of cities and actual, real city life–which includes mass transit. Are there bad, scary parts? Sure. But most of us aren’t that bad….

This entry was posted in DC, Transportation. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to My Fellow Riders and I Will Attack You on the Metro

1. rturpin says:

We just spent a week in NYC, traveling all over by subway. The only problem was one spilt coke on a crowded car, leaving stickiness on the floor.

2. albanaeon says:

I used the DC Metro every time I’ve gone to the area. Always had a good experience and was always impressed how easy it was to get around.

Actually, every public transportation service I’ve used has actually been much better than I was lead to believe.

I wonder how it got such a bad rap? /sarcasm

3. And yet these idiots aren’t afraid of the vastly higher risk of dying in a fucken car crash.

4. Jim Sweeney says:

The DC Metro is basically BART. I can’t imagine anything less threatening. Atlanta’s MARTA is also pretty modern, but there are lots of Those People riding it.

New York’s subway and Berlin’s U-Bahn are like something out of an old black-and-white movie, bumpy and rattling. The Paris Metro has at least three different kinds of cars; a trip involving two lines can feel like time travel (one has a manual door release, the next is completely automated).

5. Dave Dell says:

Love the DC Metro. The only problem I ever had was there wasn’t a stop near the National Cathedral.

6. Dave Dell says:

Oh, and the DC Metro doesn’t start running early enough on weekends.

7. ktlift says:

8. I used to live in DC and loved the Metro. But in terms of people clueless about subways, you can’t beat LA. Yes, it used to be a joke when it had like five stations twenty years ago, but the LA Metro is actually useful now. You can even get to Long Beach from Union Station these days on it. But I’ve met LAers who lived within a block of a Metro station but didn’t even know it or did and never used it because “they don’t do public transit”.