Romney Wants More Cold Fusion Research

Romney actually said this. Out loud. To another person:

I do believe in basic science. I believe in participating in space. I believe in analysis of new sources of energy. I believe in laboratories, looking at ways to conduct electricity with — with cold fusion, if we can come up with it. It was the University of Utah that solved that. We somehow can’t figure out how to duplicate it.

Maybe we can’t duplicate it because there’s nothing there to duplicate.

Although this gives me hope of securing funding for my Institute of Magic Ponies.

This entry was posted in Conservatives, Fucking Morons, The War on Science. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Romney Wants More Cold Fusion Research

1. JohnV says:

Conducting energy with cold fusion? Wonderful, just wonderful.

2. evilDoug says:

“Maybe we can’t duplicate it because there’s nothing there to duplicate.”

Didn’t Joe Smith run into some issues about duplicating something or other?
    ~~~
    I know someone who built an over-unity (1.) generator with really really good magnets. Maybe Mitt would be interested.

1. Unless you use the right arithmetic for calculating input and output. That funny symbol that looks like a fancy check mark is such a drag. And that thing that looks like a “T” with two legs – WTF?

3. Laie says:

He. Somehow… I can’t help myself, really… I like to believe that someday, someone will find that those guys actually discovered something worthwhile (though not necessarily cold fusion). And that mankind was deprived of that discovery for decades because those two guys and their brouhaha so utterly discredited the whole setup.

4. Allan Richards says:

Mike why do you even have an opinion on cold fusion. Your a biologist. Just because you know nothing about a subject doesn’t mean the subject is wrong. Maybe you are. Take some time to research a topic before you say dumb things. Cold Fusion (now LENR) has been observed thousands of times all around the world. As for your “institute of magic ponies” that’s just you showing how ignorant you can be. You could be Romney’s science guy.

Here is more information on the subject than you have read about it in your life time. It might be a little over your head but maybe you could get someone to explain it to you. http://pesn.com/2012/08/09/9602153_LENR-to-Market_Weekly_August9/ http://lenr-canr.org/

good luck

• Chris says:

Allan,

I don’t need a biology degree to understand that the republicans are trying to wind back the clock on women’s rights.

Mike has a good deal more comprehension of LENR than you presume. Please go to http://nextbigfuture.com/ and search LENR or Rossi to get a better handle on both the recent progress, and also the broad scientific community viewpoint, on cold fusion.

Chris

5. It’s really too bad that this can’t become a campaign issue, since the vast majority of Americans are too ignorant to see just how stupid the statement is.

6. lenrosen4 says:

I wrote a piece on this very subject yesterday quoting Mitt Romney. The cold fusion debate continues to create all kinds of speculation and in Zurich today we will probably be given another peak at a yet-to-deliver commercial product from LENR proponents. I keep stating in my research on cold fusion that repeatable results in a LENR device with a output at least 100:1 over energy input would make all of us on this planet happy but we are not seeing any evidence that such a device exists. If you had built one wouldn’t you want to tell the world? And wouldn’t every major power company be knocking on your door to license it? That’s what makes me look at cold fusion with the eye of a skeptic. In any case you can read my take on Romney and the technology at: http://www.21stcentech.com/cold-fusion-update-lots-hot-air-lenr-device/

7. boba says:

This came up at Brad DeLong’s site and there was a comment that it appears Willard is confusing electrical generation with conductivity. Moreover, we indeed have a problem with efficiencies with electrical transmission (which I believe is better addressed by local power generation, i.e., solar panels on roof tops on every building) so Willard seeking to address that problem by improving conductivity is not as bad as it seems.
    Look, I understand Willard is a mean-spirited flint-hearted capitalist with no executive experience that is worth a tinker’s dam. I also realize that he is an adherent to a cult that is by all appearances, a rapacious outfit of like minded thieves. (Republicans or Mormons, either fit the bill.) However, the guy is not a complete idiot. If there is a case where the candidate misspoke this is it. He thought he was talking about a conductivity breakthrough, and ended up using the “cold-fusion” meme.

8. David says:

Lots of people have duplicated the original cold fusion results. There are experiments currently going at MIT as well as SRI among many others. Can you at least watch this 60 minutes episode before commenting on cold fusion ? – http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-18560_162-4952167.html