In response to last week’s tragic murder of one national guardsmen and the wounding of another outside Farragut West Metro Station, the Trump administration has decided to deliberately pause and reassess the military occupation of D.C.
You didn’t really believe that, did you? Here’s what they’re actually going to do (boldface mine):
National Guard troops patrolling in D.C. will be paired with local law enforcement personnel, at least temporarily, in the wake of the Wednesday attack that killed one National Guard member and critically injured another, according to an email obtained by The Washington Post and two D.C. police officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss planning that is still in progress.
“Officers will conduct high-visibility patrols with the National Guard and provide assistance as needed,” said the email, which was sent to D.C. police leadership Wednesday evening. The email said the situation was “fluid,” and adjustments to the staffing plan could be made in the coming days.
If enacted on a long-term basis, the change would significantly shift the way National Guard troops have worked with local and federal law enforcement in the District since their arrival in August. Trump administration officials have credited the troops for helping reduce crime in the city — in part, they argued, because the troops’ presence at Metro stations and on National Park Service lands frees up law enforcement to police other areas of the city. Diverting local police to accompany Guard members would do essentially the opposite by siphoning them from other tasks in D.C. neighborhoods.
The MPD (D.C.’s colonial police) is now protecting the guardsmen. This is incredibly counterproductive (it also makes you wonder if any of the bozos running this have ever read a book about insurgencies). Mind you, the MPD has been protecting the Guard already:
Still, in internal memos, officials have acknowledged the risks associated with the deployment since its inception.
“The Make D.C. Safe and Beautiful Mission presents an opportunity for criminals, violent extremists, issue motivated groups and lone actors to advance their interests,” reads an internal document from D.C. National Guard leadership made public through Schwalb’s lawsuit. The document, which outlined the deployment’s objectives, was dated Aug. 12, the day after the president declared a crime emergency in the city.
A second memo, dated Aug. 28, warned service members that “those inspired by foreign terrorist organizations” might view the mission as a target. That same day, a member of the D.C. National Guard asked D.C. police for increased patrols in areas where troops are staying.
It remains to be seen if the legal ruling that the occupation is unlawful will be upheld, and I frankly have no idea if the shooting will have any effect on the legal outcome.
Send the Guard back home. Send them now.

Pingback: In Case You Missed It… | Mike the Mad Biologist